Indonesia Expat
Featured News

President Joko Widodo Maintains Lead in Latest Poll for Presidential Election

The latest Roy Morgan opinion poll favours current Indonesian President, Joko Widodo over his rival, Prabowo Subianto for the upcoming elections next month. A survey of 1,039 electors in January revealed that Joko Widodo maintains a steady lead, with the support of 58 percent of Indonesians- up to five percentage points from the 2014 election. Prabowo, on the other hand is expected to obtain 42 percent of the votes, five percentage points lower compared to the previous election.

Jokowi maintains a significant lead, especially in rural regions. At his home province of Central Java, he is expected to gain 74.5 percent of the votes. Joko Widodo also has strong endorsements in East Java, Bali and northern provinces of Sumatra and Celebes. Prabowo, however, is expected to lead in his home province of West Java.

Roy Morgan Chief Executive Officer, Michele Levine, attributed Jokowi’s lead to the strong performance of the economy over the last five years. Indonesia has been the second best performing G20 economy after China with an average growth of around 5 percent during his term.

The poll also revealed that Jokowi gained a substantial amount of support from female voters, with 61 percent. Males, too, were found to have favoured Jokowi, but by a narrower margin at 55 percent. Roy Morgan also projects that the positive endorsement for Jokowi translates well for his party, The Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDIP) which is estimated to secure 40.5 percent of the votes in the upcoming legislative elections. Meanwhile, Prabowo’s Gerindra Party is estimated to gain 25 percent of the votes.

Source: The Jakarta Post
Image: Tribune News

Related posts

Top Single Expats Hang Out Spots

Indonesia Expat

Claims of the European Union’s Discrimination against Indonesian Palm Oil

Indonesia Expat

Colliers Officially Released Q4 Report of Jakarta’s and Bali’s Properties

Indonesia Expat

Single-Entry Visitor Visa and VoA Extension Rules

Indonesia Expat

KLM Invites Everyone to be More Sustainable

Indonesia Expat

Meet Sara Amy

Angela Jelita